Monday, October 10, 2011

Sleepwalking to Swim Class

Yesterday was a holiday when you work for the federal government, but not for many others. Columbus Day, to be exact. So, you'd think that I would have taken the opportunity to sleep in, maybe grab a late brunch, and run some errands. Well, I got to the brunch and errands part, but no sleeping in for me--I was off to my 7am swim class at 6am.

Every time I get up to go to swim class and take the 2/3 train down to 14th street, walk up the stairs, across a long tunnel, down some stairs and back up some stairs, get on the F train to Delancey Street and then walk about 10 minutes before I arrive at the grossest pool I've ever swum in, I wonder, why am I so crazy?!! Yesterday, I think because it was supposed to be a day off AND I had a ton of Sangria the night before, I literally felt like I was sleepwalking to class. I nodded off on both trains and then when I arrived 10 min early, sat on a bench for like 8 minutes before changing into my suit. But as usual, it was worth it.

Our coach started class by laying on top of a table and showing us what our body position should be like while we are in the pool. Abs in, chin tucked in, chest pressed down. He then made us practice on benches and tables--whatever was available. Felt kinda funny to practice swim positioning and a hard table. Then he showed us that we should be kicking with our legs straight, from the hip, knees not bent. At that point, I knew it was going to be a tough class for me. I SUCK at kicking. You'd think it'd be my strength because I do have strong legs, but my form is terrible. After we practiced on our hard surfaces, we hopped in the pool and got started on drills.

For the first drill, we were supposed to keep our chins tucked in, neck long, abs in. I could handle this one. For the next drill, we were supposed to keep our arms by our sides and just kick, coming up for air when necessary. This, as I anticipated, was very difficult for me. After the first few times across the pool, instructor John told me that I need to keep my legs straighter. I tried that. Still pretty slow going across the pool. Next he pointed out that I need to kick from the hip, as opposed from the knee. I tried again but really don't know that my kick got any better. Later he told us that when we reach with our right arm, we are supposed to be kicking with our right foot and had us do a drill to practice it. Again, failure. I pretty much gave up on getting that drill right--Some things I'm just not coordinated enough for. (For example, please refer to my post on climbing the wall at WFBC)

We pretty much did continuous drills for the remainder of class with little time to stop and rest. I ended up pretty tired from all the swimming! I was also a little irritated that the water is not the cleanest and is a bit cloudy so it's difficult to see the line at the bottom of the pool. I'm terrible at swimming straight so I hit the lane divider SO MANY TIMES. Grrr! It really messes up your rhythm.

After class I chatted with the instructor re: missing classes around the marathon. I planned to skip class the Monday before the race and then the Monday after the race. However, my swim instructor thinks I should go the Monday before. He says I won't be swimming particularly hard and so it will keep my legs good and loose. I haven't decided yet whether I agree. Also, for the week after, I discussed going to his Tuesday evening swim class in Brooklyn. (Oh yes, I now plan to venture to Brooklyn for swim class) He thinks an easy swim Tuesday evening post marathon will help with recovery. Again...I'm going to take this under advisement.

No comments:

Post a Comment