Friday, February 4, 2011

Instructor-less swimming

So, this is the thing. I'm a terrible swimmer. I don't kick from the hip. I don't rotate my body. And I'm not good at the breathing. Yet still, apparently I think I can be a triathlete.

To remedy this, I started going to terrier tri's beginner swim class. It meets on Thursdays at 8pm at the Equinox at 63rd and Lex. I'm not a member of Equinox so I really enjoy the treat of getting to use their fancy facility, complete with kiehl's products. Generally, one of the new terrier tri coaches spends an hour making us do drills focusing on all the things I do wrong, i.e. everything. I think I will keep going to this even when my official 8 week indoor tri training program starts on 2/15 because let's be honest, I need all the practice I can get.

But yesterday, I arrived at class and there was no instructor. Elyse had mentioned she might not be coming and that someone else would. Unfortunately, there was no someone else. This wouldn't be so terrible if I was a decent swimmer and could just swim laps but well, I can't. 4 laps and I'm exhausted. I think the tri starts with 30. Crap, I'm screwed.

Add to that the fact that I didn't run yesterday morning either. So, I did 2 laps and rested. And then another 2 laps. And another. Until I couldn't take it anymore and went to meet my friend for Mexican food. I guess I will try again next week.

Today's Workout:

maybe 20 minutes of swimming...but probably not that much

No comments:

Post a Comment