Thursday, March 3, 2011

Could Easy Swimming be a Remedy for Soreness?

On this past Sunday I went to my first indoor triathlon swim practice. I was a little concerned because I also did a 14 mile run that morning. We warmed up with a 200 (8 laps) and then did 6 laps of kicking with the board. Kicking with the board was pretty difficult because my legs were definitely sore from the run. We did a number of drills during which I was reminded how terrible I am at swimming. We did catch up freestyle with the board, catch up freestyle without a board, some drills focused on kicking, drills on breathing and a bunch of other stuff for an hour. Finally, at the end of practice we did a 25 for time. It took me 28 seconds. Ugh. How am I ever going to be a good enough swimmer for this triathlon?

On Monday, I woke up for WFBC and didn't have my usual post-long run soreness. I haven't figured out whether this is because of the swim on Sunday night or because I took Saturday off. Either way, I was ready and able to redeem myself from the week prior. Specifically, on some of the 4 lap drills I was able to lead the pack and really show some speed. As a result of my improved performance, I was upgraded back to the faster group. I will not be letting the downgrade happen again--I was not pleased last Wednesday! Another plus of Monday's WFBC session--I got about half way through the monkeybars. I'm seeing some definite progress here. I think my aim will be to get through the monkey bars by early April. I still struggle with getting up the high wall. Today Chelsea, one my fellow warriors, stood behind me and gave me a tiny push up and over. The push and encouragement was just what I needed. I would like to be able to do that wall completely on my own by early April as well. I wonder though, once I can get through the whole course, what will my new goals be?

No comments:

Post a Comment